Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Year Later

I remember this day last year, after I found out about the bombing in Boston, I immediately laced up my shoes and went out for a run. I was tired, I was cranky, and I honestly wanted to just stay inside and not do anything. But, for some reason, I felt like I had to run. I felt like I owed it to the community.
Three miles into my run I started crying. Running is a passion, I've met so many amazing people in this community, and for any of them to be harmed in such an ugly and aggressive way, I was left overwhelmed. 

I remember doing ten miles that day and then collapsing on the grass outside of my house when I got home. And I just sat there and cried, calling my friends that I knew lived near the area that I was unable to reach before. 

Boston is my unattainable goal, I know I'll likely never meet the time qualifications for it, but whenever I run that city is in my mind. Today, in spite of the rain and overall miserable weather, I went for a short run. It may have been rest day but it needed to happen. 

The playlist was Boston themed. Starting with Tessie by Dropkick Murphys and ending with a cool down of Boston by Augustana. I don't think it matters what is going on in my life, April 15 I'll always run for Boston. And I'll always be Boston strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment