Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Mind Game That Is Running and Making Big Decisions


For me, a large part of my problem with running can be the mental state that I'm in. If I don't think I can do the distance I have planned, I can't. Plain and simple, my head gives out, my heart gives out, my legs give out, I just stop. And for the most part, I know I can do 13.1 miles. I can't always run it in it's entirety, but I can do it for sure.

I've been trying to overcome my doubts, I keep telling myself that I want to do a full marathon within the next two years... I've been telling myself that for two years, guess what I still haven't done? Yep, you're right. Today I made a decision, by January 2016 I am doing a full marathon, at least once. Because come January 2016 I am doing the Dopey Challenge during Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. To those unfamiliar with the Dopey Challenge, it's four races over four days. A 5k, followed by a 10k, followed by a half marathon, followed by a full marathon. 48.6 glorious miles of running. When I told my CJ (Brother Dearest) about it, the conversation went like this:

Me: I'm debating death by running in January 2016
CJ: hahaha oh yeah? Is that when you're gonna knock out a full marathon?
Me: ...5k, 10k, half marathon, full marathon, over the course of four days in Disney. Dopey Challenge.
CJ: Jesus.. lol
Me: Right? But the bling! Six pieces of bling!

Little bit of information about my brother, he's two years older than me, and was always the more athletic of the two of us. He has also always been my biggest cheerleader. When I wanted to do my first half marathon, he was the one that would send me loving "nudge" texts asking how training was going. Yeah, he's the supportive without being over bearing type of brother. Especially since when he found out that half marathon number one was finished in 3:30, instead of telling me I was slow, that I could've trained more, or whatever else some people told me, his text read: "Congrats sis, I knew you could do it. Work it, make it, do it, makes us, harder, better, faster, stronger." Yeah, we have that kind of relationship.

With the decision made today, I decided that since there are still three half marathons, two 10k races, one 5k race, and one ten miler on my schedule for the year, that I would just start doing the "Beginner Marathon Training" On RunKeeper. And that's what I did. My "training" starts on April 7th and ends with me supposedly being able to go the distance on July 25th. I'm excited to see what my body can do, and just how far I can take myself.

How did you train for your first marathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment